JOB POSTING: Intertribal Rights of Nature (IRON) Coordinator [Contract position] Movement Rights is seeking to contract with a communications professional with experience working with and in Indigenous communities to support our Intertribal Rights of Nature Campaign. If you are interested in the intersection of climate justice, Indigenous Rights and Rights of Nature, this may be the perfect position for you! This is a part-time contract position for one year (3 month trial period) $18-22/hour, 10-12 hours per week with the potential to expand into a half-time permanent position.
The Contract Position
This position offers a rare opportunity for contractors living anywhere in Turtle Island, though a knowledge of tribal communities in the Great Plains is a bonus. This position will support strategic communications with tribes and tribal communities in support of our Ponca Rights of Rivers and Intertribal Rights of Nature (IRON) Forums. IRON forums provide an opportunity to critically discuss the legal and organizing framework of Rights of Nature from a tribal perspective, the relationship between rights and responsibilities, and to discuss strategic opportunities for protecting tribal lands. This position will also support our social media and online presence, including creating content, posting and analysis.
- Knowledge of Indigenous and climate justice issues; interest in helping to build Indigenous-led Rights of Nature movement particularly on Turtle Island.
- Excellent time management, prioritization, working with multiple projects and deadlines; self-motivated person with a positive attitude who likes working in a team setting.
- Experience working and or living with Native/First Nations communities and knowledge of protocols. • Highly organized, experience with spreadsheets, WORD, google docs recordkeeping and timelines. Experience with Canva or other design programs a plus.
- Excellent communications skills, including writing, editing and proofing copy, emails, good phone skills and detailed follow-up, ability to manage zoom meetings of all sizes.
- Must have computer, phone and internet access.
- Developing, managing and updating contacts spreadsheets for multiple events simultaneously. • Crafting letters and other professional communications with tribal and other partners and providing timely follow up; outreach and follow-up with new contacts through email, social media and phones. • Supporting Rights of Rivers campaign including research and mapping of fossil fuel activities and tribal territories.
- Building and maintaining media list; pitching stories for regional and national media. • Supporting our social media and online communications work including writing and editing content (including blogs, media releases) and evaluating effectiveness.
- Supporting digital communications, video and visual content.
- Other tasks as needed. Some travel may be required.
We are accepting CVs/resume with a cover letter explaining your interest in Indigenous-led Rights of Nature. Please include at least one writing sample, preferably on issues of environmental justice or Indigenous Rights/cosmology. We will consider applications as they are submitted and encourage interested contractors to reach out by June 17, 2021. Submit CV/resume, cover letter and writing sample to Shannon@movementrights.org No Phone calls.