- This event has passed.
Humboldt Community Rights Training
August 28, 2015 @ 5:00 pm - August 29, 2015 @ 4:00 pm$50
If you live in Humboldt and are concerned about water, there is still time to join this 2-day training Friday 5-9 pm Saturday 9-4 pm.
Rights-based organizing is a powerful tool for Local Power. The Community Rights in Action workshop is interactive and participatory taught by Movement Rights founders, and global and local activists Shannon Biggs and Pennie Opal Plant.
We will cover:
- Rights: what are they and where do they come from? How do we exercise them in our community?
- Our work in the regulatory system – who is truly being regulated, and can we do more? Explore how conventional regulatory structure of law limits our ability to make meaningful change.
- The origin of corporate “rights” and why laws seem to protect corporations not people and the planet. Understand how excess corporate power in our legal and political system DENIES our rights.
- Rights of nature as local, national, and international movement.
- What communities are doing differently – how rights-based organizing works.
- Learn how nearly 200 communities across the U.S. – including most recently Mendocino California —have begun to assert local control to protect the rights of their residents, their communities, and nature.
- Want to go deeper? A weekend training includes Rolling-up our sleeves: Applying rights to your local issue – are you ready to take action and what would it look like?
To find out more about costs, logistics contact Diane Ryerson at adryerson7 (at) gmail.com